The Creative Center
The Creative Center, Arts in Healthcare: The Creative Center was founded in 1994 on the belief that “medicine cures the body, but art heals the spirit”. The Creative Center has been a LIVESTRONG Community Partner since 2003 and in 2010 has been chosen as a Model Program selected for replication in communities across the United States through LIVESTRONG Community Program funding.
Selected as a "best practice" model by the National Endowment for the Arts, The Creative Center's Artists-in-Residence program will work bedside and in small group settings with men, women, and children − in oncology units, bone marrow transplant units, intensive care/respiratory units, hospice and palliative care programs. The program offers their patients the opportunity to learn about and become absorbed in their own creative resources as they meet the challenges of diagnosis, treatment and survivorship.
Selected sites for this Model Program will receive $5,000 to cover the cost of supplies for the program, & one year of direct support from The Creative Center to ensure the successful implementation of this program; all costs associated with the artist's stipends along with consultation costs associated with The Creative Center will be covered by LIVESTRONG.
The program enables hospitals to offer their patients a multitude of benefits:
- Relief from anxiety
- Distraction from pain
- Respite from boredom
- A safe outlet for their emotions
- Extended contact with a caring and supportive individual, which can augment the hospital's patient support services
- An experience of mastery at a time when they have little control over their daily lives
- Strengthened communication with the hospital staff, especially when patients' artwork is displayed and the staff has the opportunity to interact with the patient as a creative and unique individual
- An enhanced perception of the hospital as a nurturing and healing environment
Facilitators of this program will work closely with the Creative Center and assist with managing the artist's time, ensuring appropriate supplies are purchased by following the lists provided by the Creative Center, , and connecting the artist in residence with cancer survivors that are interested in participating. Additionally, facilitators will be responsible for returning a facilitator survey to LIVESTRONG, along with handing out LIVESTRONG provided surveys to participants in the program.
The application process is now closed. Voting will begin the week of October 12.