Government Relations Manager
To inspire and empower people affected by cancer.
Your Role in Our Mission
The Government Relations Manager is responsible for carrying out the organization’s government relations strategy. This person will plan key initiatives, communicate government relations priorities internally and externally, and manage coalitions to advance LIVESTRONG’s cancer policy priorities.
- Participate in the development and advancement of the LIVESTRONG cancer policy platform and implementation of the Foundations’ policy priorities.
- Develop legislative and policy-related briefing materials, speeches, talking points and presentations.
- Lead and engage representatives from advocacy organizations to advance LIVESTRONG ’s state and federal public policy priorities through coordination of government relations, communication, and grassroots actions
- Represent LIVESTRONG at legislative and coalition meetings as well as public/government meetings and at conferences and events within the cancer community.
- Work closely with the LIVESTRONG grassroots, communication and marketing staff to promote the LIVESTRONG policy platform.
- Maintain lobbying records for the government relations team.
- Provide timely responses to requests from elected officials including working with LIVESTRONG staff to research and coordinate responses.
- Write correspondence to elected officials, policy articles for newsletters, and memos to LIVESTRONG staff.
- Help organize lobby days on Capitol Hill, cancer policy meetings and other LIVESTRONG advocacy events.
- Assist with creating and updating the policy and legislative content for the advocacy section of the LIVESTRONG website.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Must have a passion for public policy and the LIVESTRONG mission.
- Demonstrated familiarity with national, state, and local legislative processes.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Able to work independently as well as under specific direction.
- Bachelor’s degree in government or related field. Masters preferred.
- Minimum 5 years related experience. Experience working on cancer or health related issues preferred.