Intake Specialist, Emotional Support Services
Department: Navigation Services
Reports to: Navigation Manager, National Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
To inspire and empower people affected by cancer.
Your Role in Our Mission
LIVESTRONG's Cancer Navigation Services provides support to individuals who are affected by cancer. This includes serving those nationally through phone and online communication and in-person services for those who live in the Austin area. The Intake Specialist will support the Navigation Services team in the planning, coordination, and execution of the navigation services and programs, especially those relating to emotional support.
The Intake Specialist will provide support to people affected by cancer, including cancer survivors, their family and loved ones as well as health care professionals that contact LIVESTRONG looking for emotional support. The Intake Specialist serves as the initial contact for the online and phone emotional support for all Navigation clients served by the National program.
- Be a LIVESTRONG ambassador and speak to our mission, culture and core values.
- Assess mental health conditions that cancer patients and their loved ones experience and provide basic emotional support through phone and email communications.
- Navigate clients to the appropriate internal and external emotional support services.
- Develop mechanisms for identification, vetting and maintenance of resources for emotional support.
- Provide information on local resources, including support groups and counselors.
- Effectively problem solve by identifying and resolving issues and developing plans and goals to reach a supportive outcome, while maintaining appropriate client boundaries.
- Work closely with Emotional Support Navigators, to discuss clients and escalate services as needed.
- Track contacts and referrals and provide regular reporting on client interactions and outcomes.
- Communicate in both English and Spanish to the clients we serve.
- Maintain high level of working knowledge of partner services which includes working closely with external partners (local and national) through regular communication, education and collaboration.
- Participate in long term planning and ongoing quality improvement projects and programs for the Navigation Center.
- Work closely with multiple teams across LIVESTRONG to ensure all processes are seamless and effective and communication is clear.
- Be knowledgeable, aware and able to discuss LIVESTRONG resources and services for people affected by cancer.
- Effectively plan for multiple demands including daily job duties, meetings and a large volume of external contacts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related field and two years equivalent work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in oncology is preferred.
- Expert in conducting psychosocial and needs assessments and providing basic emotional support.
- Fluent in both written and oral Spanish communications.
- Knowledge of nonprofit sector with a passion for the LIVESTRONG mission.
- Motivated by service, humility and compassion for helping people.
- Possess a creative and innovative approach to work.
- Embrace change and move forward in a positive and meaningful way. Able to work cross-functionally and collaboratively across departments and teams.