Vice President – Major Gifts
Department: Major Gifts
Reports to: Executive Vice President - Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
To inspire and empower people affected by cancer.
- Adheres to Foundation Policies and Procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside the organization
- Performs duties as work load necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Department issues
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize work load
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
- Meets Department productivity standards as established
Your Role in Our Mission
To plan, develop, and execute a comprehensive strategy to increase major restricted and unrestricted gifts on behalf of the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) and to enhance the mission and vision established by the Board of Directors. The Vice President also manages the staff and day-to-day operations of the Major Gifts Team.
- Design and implement a comprehensive program to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donor prospects at the $25,000+ level, including gifts of $1 million and more; and work collaboratively across the organization to secure maximum gifts from identified prospects.
- Maintain personal major gift portfolio (accounting for 50% of personal contribution).
- Work collaboratively with staff members to identify opportunities to connect donors to LAF programs/projects.
- Supervise/manage other major gift officers and team members.
- Maintain complete and timely records of contacts with prospects.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and makes recommendations about the most suitable giving vehicles for a particular donor.
- Advances donors through the cultivation and solicitation process.
- Develops appropriate solicitation and briefing materials, including personalized solicitation letters and tailored proposals.
- Responsible for maintaining close working relationships with the Foundation Executives Rev: 3/14/2012 pg. 2 and Board Members and actively engaging them to increase private sector funding for the organization.
- Maintains ongoing clear communication with the organization's staff regarding plans and progress.
- Contributes to implementing creative ways of packaging and marketing LAF programs to philanthropic supporters.
- Maintains knowledge about the external environment as it relates to the experience of being affected by cancer.
Ability to meet people with ease; ability to write and edit effectively; ability to communicate the written and spoken work with tact, diplomacy, and/or authority when necessary; good organizational skills, well disciplined, able to meet deadlines, self starter, able to work under pressure of many priorities and deadlines; ability to work well effectively with volunteers; thorough understanding of local, regional and national markets; knowledge of marketing strategies and techniques; knowledge of long-range planning process; good managerial skills; knowledge of cancer experience. Must have highly developed interpersonal skills and be able to manage a diverse team (5-7 individuals) effectively
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum of ten years experience, including knowledge of Major Gift Solicitations or Sales, Capital Campaigns, Planned Giving, Communications and Special Events.
In addition the ideal candidate will be:
- Knowledgable of nonprofit sector with a passion for the LIVESTRONG mission.
- Motivated by service, humility and compassion for helping people.
- Instilled with a creative and innovative approach to work.
- Able to embrace change and move forward in a positive and meaningful way.
- Able to work cross-functionally and collaboratively across departments and teams.
- Knowlegable of business and philanthropic communities
We are always looking for passionate, diverse, creative and innovative individuals who exemplify service excellence, show extraordinary potential, embrace new ideas and thrive in our ever-changing environment. To join our LIVESTRONG global movement, please apply online at https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=2212141.