We fight to improve the lives of people affected by cancer
- Sperm cell
- ...sperm cell is a cell made in a man's testicles that contains 23 chromosomes (either an X or Y sex chromosome and 22 autosomes). The sperm cell has a tail, which helps it swim through the woman'...
- Spermatogonia are the cells in each testicle, which become active around puberty and start producing sperm cells. It takes about three months to produce a mature, human sperm.
- ...sperm cells need a cooler temperature to develop well. The normal body temperature would be too high for the growing sperm.
- ...sperm have an ideal shape. Some labs use the Kruger scoring system, which is stricter, so that a sample would be called normal if only 14 percent of sperm cells had ideal shapes.
- ...cell that hold the DNA code needed to build a human. Most human cells have 46 chromosomes including 22 pairs of autosomes and the X and Y sex chromosomes. Sperm cells have 23 chromosomes.