We fight to improve the lives of people affected by cancer
LIVESTRONG Cancer Policy Platform
We have learned over the years that one of the most effective ways to help the individual is to influence public policy—and we work hard advocating for key policy initiatives locally, nationally and globally. We advocate that:
- Global Policy Initiatives
- All countries should develop and adopt national cancer plans.
- Funding for cancer research, prevention and treatment should be a priority.
- Multilateral organizations must integrate non-communicable disease targets into global health planning.
- Governments should support efforts to reduce cancer stigma.
- Universal access to cancer medications and care should be recognized as a human right.
- All people living with cancer should have access to patient-centric quality cancer care.
- We must provide systems of support for people affected by cancer.
- We must inform and engage patients in order to enhance outcomes.
- The U.S. must invest in 21st century research and a learning health care system.
- States should ensure the new federal health care reform law is enacted effectively.
- States should strengthen tobacco control measures, including smoke-free workplace laws and tobacco taxes.
- States should develop patient-centric electronic health information networks with a focus on improved individual and population health.
- States should pursue innovative funding measures to increase investments in cancer research and programs.
- States should prioritize the delivery of effective cancer pain relief and palliative care, including increased access to hospice.
Federal Policy Initiatives
State Policy Initiatives