Manager of Development
Living with cancer isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be so hard. It’s the everyday cancer problems, like telling your loved ones or paying the bills. The problems that simply don’t deserve to exist.
Settling for surviving isn’t good enough. It’s time to change how we help people live with cancer. Livestrong isn’t just about hope. Our legacy is more than a wristband. We are listeners, collaborators, and practical problem solvers improving the everyday lives of anyone affected by cancer.
We are finding new solutions to old problems right now so we can fix them for good. We are dedicated to disruptive, energetic and breakthrough ideas designed to ensure that each and every person with cancer doesn’t just survive, they Livestrong.
Because if you’re living with cancer, you deserve more than just hope for a better tomorrow. You deserve a better today!
The Manager of Development is a broad role, with responsibilities that span several functional areas:
Relationship Management and Donation Solicitation
- Hold a portfolio of teams, fundraisers, and corporate sponsors, building relationships and providing support to increase fundraising and organizational revenue.
- Serve as a relationship contact for Livestrong events and to local Austin and national participants and corporate sponsors.
- Develop strategic business relationships to secure funding through events to achieve annual revenue targets in the $500,000 range.
- Actively and aggressively pursue and solicit Livestrong’s network, qualifying lapsed and current teams, fundraisers, and corporate sponsors to maximize their giving potential.
- With staff and volunteer leaders, prospect for new participants, fundraisers, and corporate sponsors; build a pipeline of prospects, and create a diverse, active and fluid portfolio of accounts.
- Continuously assess event, revenue, and relationship risks and identify opportunities, adjusting plans accordingly.
- Provide support to post-event activities including, but not limited to, retro/debrief meetings, recognition to key constituents, financial reporting, and data transfer.
Event Logistics and Execution
- Lead the planning, implementation, and production of assigned fundraising events, including vendor relationships, budgets, and event logistics.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to develop materials related to events including external communications, printed event materials (including but not limited to signage, programs, nametags, etc.) and event scripts.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure sponsor template(s) are developed and data, pictures, and additional content is updated and available for proposal development.
- Work cross-functionally to provide support to staff executing the fundraiser and corporate sponsor stewardship process.
- Lead execution of assigned special events, including preparation, set-up, event execution and tear-down.
- Ensure relationships in portfolio are identified, tracked, and updated timely in available Livestrong data platforms, including Salesforce.
- Work effectively with all departments to deliver objectives.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of Livestrong funding priorities and activities, ensuring self-comfort and confidence in speaking to these priorities with fundraisers and corporate sponsors (as appropriate).
- Accountable to implement the operational plans.
- Monitor revenue and expenses within assigned events and contribute to the effectiveness of revenue and expense management of the entire department.
- Coach, develop and supervise volunteers or interns as needed, ensuring essential Development administrative responsibilities are completed.
- Ensure communication and integration both within the Development team and with all other departments.
- Be a Livestrong ambassador and speak to our mission, culture and core values.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, or other Business concentration from a four-year university.
- Experience: 3+years in a high-volume Development department; knowledge of non-profit Development and events.
- General Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Power Point, Outlook, etc.).
- CRM (constituent relationship management) software usage experience, including Salesforce.
- Experience executing events to support revenue growth and relationship acquisition and retention.
- Communication and organizational skills to work cross-functionally and collaboratively across departments and teams.
- Passion for the Livestrong mission. Motivated by service, humility and compassion for helping people.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification.
- Advanced degree in Business, Communications, or business-related field.
- Demonstrated success in a fundraising and events role in a non-profit organization (2-3 years non-profit experience ideal) with 5+ years of experience in both for-profit and non-profit industries.