1. What is a LIVESTRONG Community Fundraiser?
A LIVESTRONG Community Fundraiser is open to anyone and everyone who has a passion for fighting cancer now and wants to join the fight! Have you lost someone you love to cancer and want to do something special to honor their memory? Do you know someone who is a survivor and want to do something to make them smile?
Anyone can set up a LIVESTRONG Community Fundraiser to honor their connection to cancer and raise money for LIVESTRONG. Do you love baking cookies? Great! Have a bake sale and sell your homemade cookies at work or school. Do you love to run? Great! Run a mile in someone’s memory and challenge your supporters to match your mileage and donate to your cause. Absolutely anything you can think of can be made into a fundraising opportunity - it is really that easy. We will be there every step of the way to help turn your passion or great idea into the perfect fundraiser.
2. How does a LIVESTRONG Community Fundraiser work?
Step 1: Decide what type of fundraiser you would like to do. The ideas are endless!
Step 2: Create your fundraising page. There are plenty of tools and templates in your online fundraising center to help you customize your page, describe your story and promote your event. You will receive a welcome e-mail from Team LIVESTRONG after you register. Be sure to reply to that e-mail with any questions you have!
Step3: Spread the word. E-mail friends and family, make flyers and post on social media to get the word out about your event and make it a success!
Step 4: Contact your support team at Team LIVESTRONG. Want to talk out your event logistics? Need to confirm where to send the funds you raised? Want LIVESTRONG wristbands to send to your donors/participants as a ‘thank you’? Give us a shout! We are here to help.
3. Is it free to become a LIVESTRONG Community Fundraiser?
4. Where will the money I raise go?
5. How much of the money I raise actually goes towards LIVESTRONG’s programs and services?
6. Can I customize my fundraising center?
Absolutely! It is important to share the reason why you are fundraising and tell others about your personal connection to cancer or LIVESTRONG. We made it easy to customize your fundraising center and we have several tools and templates to help you share your story:
- Upload a profile picture
- Tell your story and describe why you’re fundraising in dedicated open-text sections
- Upload pictures to your gallery to illustrate your cause
Whatever the reason you choose to fundraise, just know your story has the power to inspire and help others!
7. Is there a minimum fundraising goal to be a Community Fundraiser?
8. Should I set up a Community Fundraiser or participate in a Team LIVESTRONG event?
You can do either or both! If you sign up for a Team LIVESTRONG event, you commit to participating in any one of our pre-determined events. You can see the full calendar here. These events are terrific for those looking to challenge themselves athletically.
A Community Fundraiser is more flexible and can be more tailored to your personal skills and interests. You could participate in an athletic event that isn’t offered through Team LIVESTRONG this year OR you could do something entirely different. You can let your talents and passions drive your fundraiser and they can be done at any time, any place with no fundraising restrictions. The possibilities are endless.
9. What fundraising tools are available to me?
Several fundraising tools are always available to you through your participant center such as tips for reaching your fundraising goals, guidance for sharing on social media, and an order form for up to 200 LIVESTRONG wristbands to use for your fundraising efforts. Team LIVESTRONG is also happy to provide resources beyond those available in the participant center like marketing tools and sample e-mails. If you would like to discuss potential ideas or get personalized fundraising guidance please email Team LIVESTRONG or click here to be connected to our live chat.
10. What are some fundraising event ideas?
- Bake Sale – Sell your favorite baked goods at work or a sporting event.
- Chili Cook-off – Grab some friends and charge an entry fee for others to come sample all the chili.
- Backyard BBQ – Grab some friends and ask them to donate to your fundraiser in lieu of bringing food.
- Game Night/Movie Night – Grab some friends and ask them to donate to your fundraiser! You can supply the games, movies and snacks!
- T-Shirt Fundraiser – Design a t-shirt and sell it to those invested in your cause.
- Host a Sports Event (any sport!) – you can collect registration fees and donations.
- Raffle – Organize a raffle and sell tickets for the grand-prize drawing!
- Pancake/Waffle Breakfast – Ask your work if you can have a pancake or waffle breakfast. Put up flyers at work and charge a small fee!
- Get Your Office Involved – Host a casual dress day or sell bagels and doughnuts.
- Sell snacks/waters outside a local sporting event, concert, or festival.
- Dog Kissing Booth – Who doesn’t love a smooch from our 4 legged friends?
- Training for an endurance event? Fundraise dollars for miles as you train!
- Are you interested in art or photography? Auction off a painting or a framed print and donate the proceeds.
- Ready to help neighbors with their to-do lists? Pick up summer chores (mowing lawns, babysitting) and donate your earnings to LIVESTRONG to help those fighting cancer now.
- Trivia Night – Host a trivia night for friends and family.
- Collect Spare Change Jar at Work – Put out a jar for your co-workers to add spare change throughout the year – at the end of the year count it up and donate the funds to LIVESTRONG.
- Registries – Put your LIVESTRONG fundraiser on your wedding or baby shower registry and allow guests to donate in lieu of gifts.