We fight to improve the lives of people affected by cancer
The LIVESTRONG Leader program engages volunteers around the world to support our mission to improve the lives of people affected by cancer now. Within their local communities, Leaders promote LIVESTRONG ’s navigation services, resources and other key programs; support our advocacy work around important policy and legislation; and fundraise. By supporting our priorities, developing relationships with community leaders and initiating their own activities, more communities and individuals are impacted by the Foundation’s mission and services.
The LIVESTRONG Leader position is a 1-year long volunteer position with the 2014 term running January – December. On average, LIVESTRONG Leaders spend 1–2 hours a week fulfilling their role. Each LIVESTRONG Leader will receive support from LIVESTRONG staff and be part of a designated geographical region overseen by LIVESTRONG Senior Leaders who provide additional support and encouragement.
- Each LIVESTRONG Leader is asked to commit to the following actions over the course of the year-long term:
- Lead efforts to promote the Foundation’s navigations services
- Lead efforts to promote the Community Impact Project by recruiting applicants and promoting voting
- Share their cancer stories and the stories of others to help reduce the stigma associated with cance
- Participate in activities to promote policy change across the globe
- Develop relationships with local Foundation community partners to encourage cross-collaboration
- Fundraise, participate and/or promote Team LIVESTRONG events
- Participate in and promote all online campaigns
- Recruit community members to support their work as Leaders and the Foundation’s mission
- Represent the Foundation at local conferences and events
- Champion the LIVESTRONG brand
- Amplify our message via social media
- Participate in the program’s evaluation process
- Report back quarterly on activities
- Agree to the program’s operational guidelines
LIVESTRONG Leaders receive support in the following ways:
- Access to a robust online training programFree materials to support activities
- Access to an online community to interact with Leaders and discuss activities and opportunities
- Opportunity to participate in special events and activities
- Opportunity to evaluate and provide feedback on tools and resources developed by the Foundation.
- Quarterly interactions with Foundation Leadership to learn more about Foundation priorities.
Additionally, Leaders are invited to participate in the annual LIVESTRONG Leaders’ meeting where Leaders are trained, and can network with fellow Leaders and other Foundation partners. The 2014 LIVESTRONG Leaders’ meeting is scheduled for May 2014. However, please note that the date and event is subject to change. Accepted Leaders will learn the details of the event at the beginning of 2014.
Who Should Apply
Ideal candidates for this position should exhibit the below characteristics and qualifications:
Have engaged with the Foundation in the past in a meaningful way for more than a year. Examples of meaningful engagement:
- Being a grassroots fundraiser
- Participating in a LIVESTRONG program
- Supporting advocacy work
- Promoting LIVESTRONG Services
- Participating in a fundraising event
- Understand and be passionate about the mission of the Foundation
- Previous volunteer experience
- Experience serving in a leadership role
- Be able to motivate and inspire others
- Be goal-oriented and self-motivated
- Be a strong and professional communicator
- Have the time necessary to devote to the position (1-2 hours per week)
- Can read, write and speak English
- Be willing to fulfill the commitments as listed above
The 2014 Leader application is now closed. LIVESTRONG Leader applicants will be informed of their status by mid-December. For questions, email grassroots@LIVESTRONG .org .